Thursday, August 21, 2008

My keychain Tool

I wrote a little script in ruby which manages passwords. It is a strictly command line tool and allows you to store keys, retrieve them, and even generate more or less pronounceable passwords of arbitrary length using a Markov chain. All the data is stored in a blowfish-encrypted file and should therefore be somewhat safe.

Since the script depends on two other ruby gems (namely crypt and highline), I've uploaded it to rubyforge. You can now simply install the script with
  gem install keychain

The interface is quite easy, you can either pass the command as first argument, or invoke keychain which then enters an interactive mode. Simple try
   keychain help
to see a list of commands.

Needless to say, I cannot guarantee that this tool will not one day forget all your valuable passwords, but at least I can assure you that I'm personally trusting my code. :)

No comments: